Thursday, January 28, 2010

Anthro’s Stylishly Cool Sister

tumblr_ks2za8KCq71qzaab4o1_400_large {we heart it}

Last week, I posted about some of the yummy stuff on sale at Anthropologie and since several of you commented on that post, I thought I would follow up this week with a sale from their sister store, Urban Outfitters.  Lots of people don’t know that these stores are siblings (along with Free People), but indeed, they are under the same umbrella company.  The only reason I know this is because one summer when I was home from college, I had the “brilliant” idea to work at one of the Anthro stores in Dallas.  I say “brilliant” because I took the job to make some extra money on top of my summer lifeguarding job, and each week, I spent triple what I made working there.  (Did I mention you get a 40% discount at Anthro, Urban, and Free People when you work for just one of them?)  Haha, awesome planning, Allison…you got a job to make money and then you spent all of it and more.  Nonetheless, it was such a fun opportunity, and because the store was brand new, I got to experience the grand opening of an Anthro, and I got to be a part of all the incredible detail work that goes into their store windows and displays.  (Yes, it was as inspiring and fabulous as you might imagine.)  Did you know that each Anthro store has their own creative director in charge of creating their magical look?  No pre-packaged displays, no boxed sets; it’s all unique.  (So unique, that I got paid for three days straight to make “raindrops” out of hot glue and wax paper.  I thought the woman had lost her mind, but of course, it looked insanely fabulous when she was done.)

Anyway, I’m getting off track as usual…back to Urban Outfitters.  Before I launch into all the goodies I found on sale there, I need to share my number one Urban shopping tip with you.  Have an editing eye.  (Do I sound like Tim Gunn?  If I do, awesome, because he is fab.)  But back to my edit point…I do not love everything that Urban carries.  Yes, you read that right; I said do NOT love.  Half of the stuff in that store I simply don’t care for.  It doesn’t look as well made as I’d like it to be, and the fit can be a little wonky (I’ve never actually used that word before, but find it entirely appropriate at this moment.)  When browsing their website, I don’t particularly love their models, and I’m not a big fan of their styling.  However, with all that being said, I think Urban Outfitters carries some really cool and unique pieces.  Pieces that if I pair them with some of the things I already have and love, will totally shine and fit my style (which isn’t quite as funky/grunge as Urban’s style.)  They have a way of making casual look incredibly cool so that if I pair one of their top’s with a black pencil skirt I look cool at the office, and if I pair one of their dresses with an oversized cardigan, I look cool out to dinner with Matt.  So if you don’t typically give Urban Outfitters a glance but you love their sister store, Anthropolgie, give it a second look, you might be surprised what you find.  Here are some of the goodies I recently sound in their sale section…

 17431206_011_b

Kimchi Blue Beaded Cardigan Sweater.  How sweet and funky is this sweater?  Sweet and funky is a hard combo to pull off, but I think this sweater does it fabulously.  I think I’d pair it with a pencil skirt and heels and rock it at the office.  What would you pair it with?

17413253_001_b Silence and Noise Sequin Tee.  Bling is always in and I love the slightly oversized yet super chic top.  I’d rock it with a simple skinny jean, black boots, and a rockin cocktail ring or two or three.  (You know how much I heart big rings.)  An added bonus?  It’s under $20!  Total steal.

17468125_004_b Silence and Noise French Terry Metallic Stitch Pullover.  Ok, I know this sweater doesn’t look like anything special (especially with this model’s awkward slouch), but I think it would look great with jeans, heels, and some layered gold jewelry for a cozy yet relaxed date or girls night out.  (And yes, I wear heels for “cozy and relaxed” dates.  Silly to many, but not to me.)  I can see a few of my friends turning up their nose at this top, but I think with the right stuff, this could be a cozy-cool get up.

17310780_41_b Truly Madly Deeply Solid Deep V Tee.  Again, I know what you might be thinking.  “Why is this weird girl posting a plain t-shirt on her list of fabulous finds?!”  There is a reason I promise.  Remember last year when I talked about the burial of all my sorority t-shirts (if you missed that post, read it here.  It was a lifechanging and somewhat depressing decision.)  Well since then, I’ve had trouble on lazy Sundays and errand running days because I don’t have any t-shirts to wear.  Look no further because Urban always has GREAT t-shirts.  Perfectly thin and worn in with a deep V, in a variety of colors.  It doesn’t get much better than that when it comes to t-shirts.  (I actually like this shirt better than the original Gap shirt I posted.)  I also like that the sleeves are longer on this shirt because I hate shirts that remind me of the days “baby tees” were in.  Oh Lord, how I’d love to forgot those days.

17526179_023_d Deux Lux Solid Tote.  Urban has some of the best, sorta slouchy/sorta structured bags out there.  And most of them are pretty affordable, especially if you can snag them on sale.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE this bag and think it perfect for anyone who has a soft spot for bags and purses.  Ugh, love it.

17580804_020_b We Who See Essential Riding Boot.  I’ve been ranting way too much lately about the skinny jean/boot combo, but I can’t help it.  We don’t exactly have weather here in Texas that supports the skinny jean/boot combo very often, but after our Chicago trip, I was back in love and ready to build my collection.  (Those three words, “build my collection,” often get me in trouble.  Must proceed with caution and self-control.)  But seriously, these riding boots are fab and though they’re not a total steal, they’re still a pretty good deal in my book.

17526039_070_b Wishbone Studs.  If you are not sold on anything else at Urban Outfitters, please consider their insanely unique accessories.  So much of their stuff has a whimsical and hip vibe, and I always feel like it adds just an extra layer of cool when I wear it.  Even if I’m in one of my all black off ensembles for work (a la People’s Revolution, not a la funeral wear) their jewelry always make me feel a tad more unique and special.  And these little lovelies certainly meet that bill.  SO FREAKING CUTE.  Seriously, I am adding these to my cart as we speak.  I also love them because they make a statement without being big, bold or oversized.  They’re subtle yet fabulous, which is a combination I simply adore.

Ok, so what do you think?  I know Urban Outfitters isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but with an editing eye, an ability to look past their sometimes weird styling, and a little imagination, I think anyone can incorporate their stuff into their wardrobe for a stylishly cool pick me up.  So tell me what you think; I’d love to hear!

3 comments:

christie said...

I have not stepped foot inside an Urban Outfitters in years! I really thought I was too old for their stuff, but I must say your post has made me reconsider. You are right about getting single pieces to pair with other things. An entire ensemble from U.A. is probably too much of a grunge statement. And their prices are much more affordable than Anthropologie's.

Allison said...

Oh my goodness- don't tempt me! Sigh. These clothes are SO cute- I especially love the bag! :D If you're into cute vintage-y styles, I would look at Modcloth.com. Their products are expensive, but SO worth it.

Amber said...

aww those wishbone earrings are darling!