Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Party Pretty


Holiday parties are among us, and that means we all have an excuse to shop!  Woohoo!  (Who am I kidding, I don't need an excuse to shop?)  I'm not a fan of stuffy, obligatory holiday parties, but I heart heart heart fun Christmas parties, with good friends, good food, and lots of laughter.  My criteria for a good party ensemble is something that makes you look and feel special.  It doesn't have to new or expensive, but I think that it should make you feel a little more sparkley, a little more merry, and a little more special.  I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't save the "good stuff" for special occasions, because let's face it, life is a special occasion!  I adopted this motto with my everyday wardrobe a year or two ago, and have seen dramatic results in how I look and feel on those plain old ordinary days in the office.  But something about holiday parties gives me the green light to look and feel extra extra special.  I don't know if its the eggnog, the extra sparkle from the Christmas tree, or the jolly attitude that accompanies the season, but something about holiday parties gives me the courage to try a look that I might have been somewhat apprehensive of before.  I wouldn't think of wearing anything but a dress (I'm not saying everyone has to be like this, it's just my preference.)  I love dresses anyway, but they are a must for holiday parties.  I also usually tend to favor more whimsy for holiday parties.  (Last year at my parents' Christmas party, I debuted my giant owl necklace that I bought at a street market in London.  Rave reviews from most of the ladies, and a "what the hell" look from my husband, lol.  Guys just don't seem to get the whole whimsy thing.)  Anyways...I am getting off topic...back to my holiday party dress post...

Here are a few things I've been eyeing for my upcoming holiday parties.  (This is not to suggest that I have a full social calendar or a full wallet to actually buy these things, but a little inspiration goes a long way right?) 


Victoria's Secret Split Neck Sequin Dress
I think this dress is to.die.for.  It's a little slouchy, a little vintage, and a lot sparkly.  I would pair it with black tights and a pair black booties (BCBG makes greeeat ones).  Ugh, I want this dress.


Anthropologie Longest Night Dress
Though the black is simple, the neckline is anything but.  This definitely calls for a simple and slightly messy chignon and some delicate gold studs and several stacked gold rings.


ABS Illusion Yoke Sequin Shift Dress
Love the sparkle of the dress.  A pair of black tights and black leather bomber jacket would add the perfect contrast of toughness to all this glitz.
 

Anthropologie Roped Posies Necklace
If you don't want to splurge on a dress or already have a simple black dress that you love, think about a statement necklace.  I live for (ok that's an overstatement, but you get it) statement jewelry.  I just throw on all black (a la People's Revolution), a statement necklace, my diamond studs, and I'm out the door!  Anthropologie has the best statement necklaces hands down!  I got a white one similar to this one about a month ago and have gotten rave reviews on it.  Plus, it makes you feel like you're wearing an art piece (and well, you kind of are!)


Anthropologie Aflush Necklace
Love the unbalanced look of this piece and the pink is a somewhat unexpected but welcome touch.  Me likie :)


Chiffon Florette Headband
Still don't want to spend the money on new bling?  Totally understandable (we're in a recession people!)  Think about making a statement with a fabulous headband or pair of jeweled hair pins.  Though I am generally not a fan of Forever 21 (nothing EVER fits me there!  I love it on other people; it just looks weird on me) they certainly have the best headbands around!  And for the price, you can afford a few or afford to buy an oversized bow or feather headband that you'll only wear a few times.  I've also seen some good ones at Target, although they're not all on the website.  I am loving loving loving headbands this season (see an earlier post on that here.)  I think its my revenge on the orthodonist who made me wear headgear.  Headbands are my updated, attractive version of headgear :)  (Don't worry, I didn't wear it to school, only at night.  I told him crooked teeth were better than social isolation at school!)

So, now that you know what's got my eye this holiday season, what about you?  What are you planning to wear to celebrate the season with friends and family?

4 comments:

Krysti said...

i love the VS dress!! i saw it as i was shopping for my holiday party dresses.. i love the sequins but don't like that the waistline is so low.. it'll cut off my legs (since i'm short) but would look fab on you! I can't wait for holiday parties!

mrs.mfc said...

Oh my goodness, that Roped Posies Necklace!! LOVE that color!!

Kelsey said...

If I had a Christmas party to go to, I would totally be purchasing some of these goodies, but alas, there is no one out here in the boonies with us... maybe next year! Great finds!!

julianne said...

The prettiest thing I've seen for party wear at Anthropologie is a little beauty called the Gossamer Flower Salon hair clip by Andrea's Beau. I actually went to their own website, www.andreasbeau.com, and found an amazing collection of hair ornaments. No wonder Anthropologie carries them.