Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Candle Turned Molten Lava



This is what happens when you leave a candle unattended and burning too long.  A candle that you used your best Shabby Chic-ness on to make cute and pretty.  I had this vintage ashtray from my grandmother, which I nestled a cream colored candle in the middle of.  Later, in a pinch for an overflow jewelry holder, I started sprinkling jewelry in the lip of the ashtray turned candle holder.  Pretty, pretty, pretty.  Fast forward several months when we hosted Matt's student mentors at our apartment.  I lit this candle in my bathroom for a little ambiance, and then played party hostess.  In a freak candle melting accident, this wax leaked out the side of the candle, creating a molten lava effect on my precious vintage jewelry.  I found it five hours later.  Tear.

Now I didn't exactly pay attention in history class (ok let's be honest, I didn't pay attention at all), but I believe a similar thing happened in Pompeii, Italy bizillions of year ago, creating a freaking preservation site in the ancient city (reenactment photo below.) 



I actually had the chance to visit Pompeii a few years ago.  But instead of visiting this all day...


I chose to stare at this all day...


Duh.  That was a no brainer.  My dad toured Pompeii alone that day, and although the thought of him touring the freakishly preserved city alone made me kind of sad, not sad enough to pass up laying out here all day...


But back to this...


I need a plan to rescue my candle covered jewelry.  Perhaps I'll try this...


Or this...


If those don't work and I get desperate, I'll try this...


Awesome.  Should be an adventure filled weekend.  Note to the wise, don't leave a candle unattended.  Unless you enjoy molten lava covering your treasures.

UPDATE: A huge thanks to a comment from Heather who pointed out that "metal jewelry + microwave = FIRE."  She suggested this...

"Try freezing the wax. It will become brittle and you can break it off of the jewelry."  Thanks again Heather.  To recap for other readers who may be as clueless as me, metal and fire are NOT a good combo :)

5 comments:

Heather said...

So, metal jewelry + microwave = FIRE.
Try freezing the wax. It will become brittle and you can break it off of the jewelry.

Allison said...

Ohhh Heather, how thankful for you I am! I would have had another fire related disaster if it weren't for your comment! THANK YOU! Will try the freezer method :)

Taylor-made Wife said...

Once you get the big chucks of wax off from the freezer method, you can lay a wet towel over the wax-covered jewelry and then iron the towel. The wax will melt and should stick to the towel. The towel will probably be ruined so you'll want to use an older one. Good luck

Taylor @ Jimmy Choos and a Baby Too said...

That is so something I would do! The freezer thing sounds like such a good idea!

Dad said...

Thanks for the shout-out about Pompeii. Someone in the family has to show a little culture. Good luck with the wax. Let us know how it turns out.