Sunday, December 6, 2009

Too Funny Not To Share



Do you ever have encounters or moments that are so funny you can't possibly keep them to yourself?  You know, those moments that are so unpredictable and so awkward that you can't help but die laughing every time you replay the moment in your head?  I had one of those moments this weekend, and it made me laugh so hard, I have to share it.

Every Friday morning Krystavel (one of the student mentors that I supervise) and I go to Starbucks.  It's a standing date.  No matter how busy I am, I won't miss it.  I love her, I love lattes, so clearly, it's a priority.  This past Friday was pretty busy at the Starbucks across from campus, and Krystavel and I chatted as we waited patiently to get to the front of the line.  As we got to the front of the line, Krystavel stepped up to order.  The blonde barista was slightly overtalkative, but not wanting to be a scrooge, I just went with it.  "Can I have your name?" she asked.  "Krystavel," my coffee companion replied.  "Wait, what?" the barista asked.  Used to having to repeat herself, Krystavel responded with her name again, and the barista asked her to spell it.  "K-r-y-s-t-a-v-e-l."  The barista replied, "OMG, what a cool name!  That is soooo awesome, I love it.  It's so much cooler than my boring name!"  Krystavel politely smiled, although I could kind of tell she was thinking, ok lady, chill out with the name stuff.  Then I stepped forward to give my order (I splurged on a grande peppermint mocha.)  "And what's your name?" the barista asked.  I replied, "Allison."  "OMG, that's my name!" the barista replied.  Ummm, hold on, pause.  Let the moment sink in.  Didn't she just say her name was boring?  Yes.  And did she just admit that her name is the same as mine?  Yes.  Riiiight.  I waited about three seconds, just staring at her.  About that time her eyes got big, realizing she just called my name boring.  She tried to recover, scrambling to correct herself, but there was no possible way to recover.  I just laughed and smiled and said thanks.  As Krystavel and I waited for our drinks, I tried so hard to control my laughter, but I seriously couldn't.  It was so unrehearsed, so awkward, so perfect, that I couldn't not laugh.  And since it was so unrehearsed, so awkward, and so perfect, I couldn't resist sharing it with you :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

this is just too funny! hahaha... thanks for the laugh "Allison" !!

Danielle said...

hahahahaha that's awesome!

Alison said...

Oh hahaha that's funny! My name is Alison too!

Patricia said...

: ) Although I didn't laugh, I did smirk at that moment-- and mostly I am surprised that you caught that moment in such detail when today is Sunday and it happened on a Friday.

Krysti said...

lol.. (i really just laughed out loud) That day was too funny.. i was waiting for you to post this.. i wonder if she'll remember us next time..

Anjali said...

LOL Thanks for sharing :)

Dad said...

If we had known that Allison was a boring name, we would have named you something more exciting.