Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving Roadtrip



Thanksgiving is such a fun holiday.  It involves three of my favorite things: family, food, and of in my family, shopping!  For Matt and I, all three of these things involve a very very long trip to Arizona.  Why the very very?  We DROVE to Arizona.  That is right, we spent a very lovely seventeen hours in the car to get to Arizona to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with Matt's family.  Yes, you read that right, SEVENTEEN HOURS!  How do you do survive a seventeen hour road trip?  Let me show you.


Pull out your camera and commit to making the trip a blog entry.  Instantly more enjoyable.  Big sunglasses are a must as I am scary with no makeup on :)



Make the obligated McDonald's stop for breakfast.  Nothing says road trip like a greasy sausage biscuit and a megasized coke.  Halfway through my biscuit I almost choked thinking about all the fat I was consuming.  I threw the rest away and said no more fast food in the car.  


Sleep in the backseat while Miguel drives.  Even though this picture is of Matt, I won't lie, I was the one sound asleep in the car for most of the trip.  I couldn't help it; between the sleepless week right before and the cold medicine I was downing, I could barely keep my eyes open.  To make up for my non-driving, I had to agree to make banana nut bread and my famous pesto pasta bake when we got back home.


Listen to every known artist on your ipod at least once.  Then repeat your faves around the 12 hour mark.


Cringe at other people's road trip food choices.  Red Bull with Sour Cream and Onion Pringles?  Dee-gust-ing.


Smile and cheer as Matt gets news of his first internship interview.  Woo hoo, go Matt!


Sit in the car and turn up your nose as the guys stop at every sketchy restroom along the way.  Seriously, I'd rather hold it.



Give up on the distractions, chat with two of your favorite people, and enjoy the views.  Seventeen hours wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.  And the reward of seeing family when we arrive, made all of the road trip craziness worth it!  Hope everyone has a fabulous Thanksgiving!

No comments: