Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Crayola Pumpkin

When I was a kid, I used to LOVE carving pumpkins.  My whole family would gather around the kitchen table and go to town, drawing funny faces, scooping out pumpkin guts, and baking yummy pumpkin seeds as we went along.  So the first year Matt and I were dating, I made a huge deal about carving pumpkins.  Annnd...that was the first year I realized I do not in fact love carving pumpkins.  Nope, not at all.  What I loved was doing the first 10 percent of the pumpkin carving, then running off to leave my dad to do the dirty work, coming back right at the end to squeal, "Isn't my pumpkin perfect?!"  (My poor parents, I must have been the biggest pain the butt as a kid.)  So since that year, I've been on the lookout for different ways to give pumpkins a good sprucing up, but I'm often hindered by the fact that my craft radar is seriously lacking.  (Another thing that typically got passed off to my parents when I was a kid.  Remember my kindergarten ocean diorama, Mom and Dad?)  But when I saw this DIY Crayola Pumpkin idea on Jenny May's blog, I couldn't help but wonder if I could pull it off.  Then my office provided mini pumpkins for us all to decorate, and I couldn't help but think it was a sign from the crafting fairies to give this DIY a try.

And let me tell you...I.FREAKING.LOVE.IT.  It's such a fun and unexpected take on pumpkin decorating; I can't help but want to decorate a million more like it.  The instructions are super simple and pretty much foolproof.  The result?  A totally rad and fabulous pumpkin.  LOVE.IT.

IMG 0196

7 comments:

Alivia said...

Saw this yesterday and told my roommates that it NEEDED to happen. So cool!

CapeCodCollegiate said...

Easily one of the coolest things I've seen for fall..

Looks like I'm going to have to take a crafting day for myself and make this!

xx

Glitterista said...

What a great idea! Love it! :)

Ez said...

Thats the coolest pumpkin ever! We dont really do Halloween here in Australia and I have always wanted to have a go a carving a pumpkin...but cant think how in the world you do it...pumpkins are kinda hard inside arent they? so how do you get everything from the inside out?? lol

www.lifestylen.blogspot.com

Tina said...

that is an AWESOME way to dress up your pumpkin for fall! so different and creative! i LOVE it! gotta try this now!

Vanessa said...

This reminds me of these star-shaped crayons I had as a kid that were made from melted crayons. They always colored in a rainbow. I think it's safe to say that I'm heading to the store this weekend to buy some pumpkins and a box of Crayolas. ;)

BTW, just discovered your blog and love it!

Alison Kinsey said...

your pumpkin came out phenomenal!! and so colorful! i saw jenny may's post about this as well and it looked like such a cool, simple idea. i suck at pumpkin carving too haha.