Tuesday, July 5, 2011

An Ohio Filled 4th...

DSCN5092

This weekend Matt and I celebrated the fourth in Ohio with my grandparents.  (Both my dad's parents and my mom's mom live there.)  Though grandparents aren't typically known for celebrating holidays with rowdy parties or poolside barbeques, I must say that this weekend was one of the loveliest 4th of July weekends I've had in a long time.  Something about just sitting and talking with the ones you love is so delightfully simple.  Here are a few of my favorite things from this weekend...

Finally taking Matt to experience Foy's, an old five-and-dime store, in my dad's hometown.
(We went there every time I visited my grandparents as a kid, and I have so many happy memories in that place)...
Sitting on my grandma's patio talking about nothing but talking about everything...
Hearing more stories about my grandparents' 1945 honeymoon to Chicago...
(You can read more about sweet Dorothy and Flash here)...
Enjoying an oversized slice of apple pie topped with vanilla ice cream...
(You can't pass up apple pie on the 4th of July, its a crime!)...
Watching my grandma wave her new American flag, courtesy of Foy's...
(My grandparents are celebrities at that place)...
Sneaking off to do some dollar store shopping for our Harry Potter party this weekend...
Watching Matt clean my grandma's window screens with a toothbrush...
(and realizing how lucky I am to have a husband with such a good heart...)
Sneaking glances at small moments between my grandparents...
Loving us some 99 cent rock candy...
(We went patriotic with our flavors; Matt got red strawberry, I got blue cotton candy)...
Doting on my grandma and enjoying the shift in roles...
Wondering what Matt and I's love will be like after 66 years of marriage...
Hearing all three of my grandparents laugh.  No holding back, no half chuckles, just full and joy filled laughter...

But the best moment of the whole weekend, was catching the big fireworks show from the comfort of my grandma's driveway.  For twenty minutes, the three of stood in her driveway, leaning against her car, gazing up at the sky.  My grandma had her arm around my waist, my arm was around her shoulder, and I kept squeezing my eyes tight, thinking, "don't ever forget this moment."  It was beyond lovely, and I'm so grateful for the opportunity to share such a special day with such special people.

DSCN5096

Hope your 4th was lovely!

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

I love that picture in front of the store! Places like that are so much fun :)

Glad you got to spend some quality time with your grandparents this weekend!

Glitterista said...

What a perfect holiday weekend! Love all of the pictures. Glad you made so many special memories with your grandparents. :)

Whitney said...

66 years?? holy bajoly.

cute pics!

Jessica said...

Great picture in front of the store! Love all of the colors! Sounds like you guys had a great weekend. So special to spend time with grandparents hearing all of those great stories :)