Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Our Christmas Mantel

I just wanted to pop in for a bit this morning/afternoon to show you a quick peek at Matt and I's Christmas mantle.  (I say "Matt and I" because we both pay rent here, not because we both put love and care into creating this Christmas mantle.  Matt laid on the couch while I worked lol.)  This is one of the many times I wish I had a fancy pants camera to capture all the fun details, but alas, all I have is my little point and shoot camera.  I coyly asked Matt when we could upgrade to a nice camera, and he answered "when we have kids."  And because I enjoy sleeping through the night, not having spit up on me, and talking about adult things, I will happily enjoy my point and shoot for several more years :)  On to our Christmas mantel...

DSCN4022.JPGThis year, when I pulled our our Christmas decorations, I made myself one promise.  I was going to make do with what we already had.  No running out to the store, no swearing I needed that "perfect" ribbon.  Whatever we had is whatever I was going to use.  That mentality seemed to push me to try a few options I may not have initially considered, and I'm so happy I stuck to my promise.  Last month I showed you our fall mantel, and you may see a few similarities.  The colors are different and there is certainly more sparkle, but it has a lot of the same "bones" as our fall mantel.  Big mirror and wreath combo, filled glass canisters, candles, and a word frame.  With no garage and little storage, I keep the same basics, but revamp the details.

DSCN4024.JPGI filled three different glass canisters/vases with a mix of silver and red ornaments.  A mix of big and small, glittered and shiny helped keep it from being too matchy matchy.  I picked up the little silver bead wreaths after Christmas with my mom last year for 75% off.  The garland was something I wasn't quite sure how it would work when I started it, but it ended up looking a little bit crazy, a little bit fun, which is always a good combo in my book.  (I mean, isn't that what we all love about Anthropologie?  A mix of crazy and fun that seems to look effortless.)  The small glitter ornaments came from Target's dollar bin, and I strung them up with some ribbon I snagged at the end of the season last year.

DSCN4028.JPGI love having a word mixed in with my decorations.  Matt wanted to use wrapping paper in the frame (ok, I don't give him enough credit, he does care a little bit) which we tried for a few days.  But then I got my way and switched it up for a word.  "Believe" is so fitting for Christmas, and I love the glittered Santa hanging close by.  (I picked up several twin Santas from the dollar bin at Target to use as finishing touches on presents, but when I hung him here on a whim, I loved it!)  The garland came from the bottom of our Christmas tree, which had to be cut down to fit into our tiny apartment.  I asked the guys at the tree place to tie up the scraps and though there weren't a lot left over, it was just the right amount for our little mantel.

DSCN4029.JPGI saw a feather wreath last year in a magazine and have been wanting one ever since.  I found the styrofoam wreath form at a garage sale for 10 cents and the feather boa for 25 cents.  (Big spender I tell you.)  I wrapped it around the form, secured it with a few straight pins, and voila, fun feather wreath.  I added a few silver ornaments from our tree as well as some of the butterfly clips that we use on our tree.  PS: After I wrapped the wreath and tied it to the mirror, Matt made a face.  You know, a scrunched up, what the heck is that face.  "What?" I asked.  His reply?  "That looks like Big Bird's butt."  To which I maturely said, "Your face looks like Big Bird's butt!"  Total maturity around here people :)

DSCN4025.JPGSo there you have it, our Christmas mantel!  I love the way it turned out, and for free no less.  PS: If you've decorated for the holidays and posted about it, leave me a link in the comments so I can come check it out!  Have a great Wednesday yall!

22 comments:

Olivia said...

so super cute!!

Alivia said...

Oh I LOVE the wreath. Matt needs glasses...and, plus, Big Bird is yellow. So...duh. Not even close.

I also love your string of ornaments. Maybe I'll try this on my windows!

Kiersten said...

Unfortunately, I'm in a dorm room, so the most decorating we've done is make paper trees, snowflakes, candy-canes, and stockings. But that's okay. :)
Your mantel looks lovely, and I definitely like the picture frame with Santa and "Believe". I think it's quite fitting!
<3 Kiersten

J and A said...

Beautiful! I love the bird butt wreath, I may have to make one!!!

PursuitOfLLT said...

i LOVE the wreath!! I never even thought of that. bravo!!

Natalie said...

I love it! It looks wonderful...so warm and homey. :)

Unknown said...

This is beautiful- I did a red and silver theme too (while my boyfriend just sat on the couch!) Anthropologie has some fabulous ornaments!

xo Emily

caknitter said...

The mantel looks very festive and the wreath, very vogue. Love all the decorating ideas!

the adventures of a modern housewife said...

I love the feather wreath! Your mantel looks great - I love the silver and red

Anonymous said...

Haha!!! Big bird's butt, hilarious!! Sounds like what my boy would have said to that. I think it's adorable!! And I love the believe too.

amy kelinda said...

Big Bird's butt, hahaha! MEN, what do they know?! I love your feather wreath and I like that you tied in the decorations on it with your Christmas tree! Perfection! Using the leftover scraps from your tree as mantel decor is genius, too!

Glitterista said...

Ahhhh! Finals has me so behind on the holiday decorating! I hope to post pictures soon, but your mantle looks wonderful. :)

Alison Kinsey said...

i've told you before how much i LOVE your decorating... and this is no different. the mantle looks so chic. great work girly!

MrsFlewlling said...

I have been DYING to decorate for Christmas, and besides putting up my Mom's tree at my parent's house, my husband and I don't get to decorate because we are always gone to Maine for Christmas for two weeks and since it's been finals time, I just haven't done it. ARG! But I love looking at all the pretty decorations! I love how you can do so much with just a few things and make it look elegant and classy. I'm not that talented by far! Awesome mantle!

Anonymous said...

I love it!!! We chose red and silver this year :) There's something very classic about those colors together :)

Anonymous said...

You shouldn't ever say "Matt and I" anyway. Anytime you talk about the two of you, you should say "Matt and me".

Amanda said...

I like the mantle!! What I really like is how you used everything you already had and stuck with it! Good for you :)

Anonymous said...

love it!

I havent really decorated yet..my pup is currently sporting a cone of shame, so i'm trying not to clutter his space.

Miranda said...

I love the mantle, and really love the wreath!! You're so fab!

kristine [kristine. or polly.] said...

Ohh your mantle is so beautiful! I wish I had a fireplace to decorate. Christmas is the best, isn't it?

Kristine. Or Polly

Almost Fashionable said...

Your decorations look great! I am loving Shana and I's Christmas decorations this year, so I had to share!

http://tinyurl.com/2aurhba
http://tinyurl.com/2b7nvzf
http://tinyurl.com/2f8tuad
http://tinyurl.com/2fmrfm4

Merry Christmas Allison!

Olivia said...

here is some of our decor :) http://oliviakcarter.blogspot.com/2010/12/its-that-time-christmas-time-is-here.html