Monday, December 13, 2010

Dear Utah

DSCN4065.JPG

Dear Utah,

I owe you an apology.  I wrongly stereotyped you, and I am sorry.  I really hate it when people assume that because I am blonde and a sorority girl, I have no brain.  Yet, as much as I hate the losers who stereotype me, I did so to you.  Shame shame on me.

You are so beautiful, I had no idea.  I heard "Utah" and thought boring, blah, and major snoozefest.  But clearly I was mistaken.  Because your snowy mountains were gorgeous.  With each turn and each look, I was captivated by those beautiful mountains.  It was like something out of a picture book, I couldn't get enough.

I'm also sorry for assuming I'd be sipping on sprite and cherry coke all weekend.  Wrong again.  I enjoyed several yummy wines and a delicious champagne cocktail.  In Utah.  Who knew?

I also saw some very stylish students walking around campus.  Many of whom I could take a style lesson from.  Minus one fashion point for me.

You also have three of my must have guilty pleasures: Chick-fil-a, Sonic, and Starbucks.  It doesn't take much to make me happy.  Large cherry vanilla coke at happy hour here I come.

And Utah, while I'm not yet sure if we'll actually end up together (talk to the search committee about that one) I thought I should let you know now that you are delightful in so many ways.  And I misjudged.  Shame on me.

Thanks for proving me wrong and  reminding me not to judge a state by its stereotypes (or a girl by her hair color.)

PS: I'll post a full recap of our trip when we're back in Chicago.  Thank you all so much for your prayers, well wishes, and kind words.  Your encouragement means so much to me!

PSS: I took this picture while Matt and I were walking around campus.  Isn't the view beautiful?

15 comments:

caknitter said...

Wow, it's gorgeous!

Amber's Notebook said...

pretty pic! And wow I love when sterotypes are un stero-ed. LOL!

bp said...

That is a GORGEOUS picture! Good luck with everything to you and Matt!

Rachel said...

I came across your blog just today, and when I read this post I thought, "That was just like me!!" I moved here from Georgia and had Utah stereotyped to a T. I was prepared for the worst. That was four years ago. Though it's still no east coast, I'm in love. The mountains especially still get to me all the time. It's a lovely, lovely place.

Nicole said...

Aw man, this made me laugh out loud... truly.

I'm from Utah ;) and I don't fit all those stereotypes either. Except.. I could do with less snow. ha.

Lindsay said...

That view is gorgeous! It almost looks fake!

French Lover said...

This is pretty random but I'm OBSESSED with cherry vanilla (diet) Coke. Too bad it's impossible to find ! I used to buy it in Canada but they stopped distributing it. Needless to say they don't sell it in France either..

Oh and that picture is gorgeous !

Kiersten said...

Aww, I'm happy you seem to like it there so much! I've personally never been to Utah, but it sounds wonderful from your "letter".
Enjoy the rest of your trip, and good luck!!
<3 Kiersten

Whitney said...

BAH! I just burst out laughing in my cubicle when I read "shame shame" in your post.

Glad you are having the loveliest time in Utah - now quit blogging and go have fun.

Muah.

Glitterista said...

What a gorgeous photo! Utah is gorgeous, plus you'd be closer to Sundance! ;)

Alivia said...

Ohhh, pretty! I'm starting the feel differently about Utah as well, after years of thinking "Why would I EVER EVER want to go there?!?!?!??" ;)

PursuitOfLLT said...

how gorgeous!! i can't imagine having that view while walking on campus!

oh and a big congrats! you won the freebie friday!

Anonymous said...

I've been to Utah many times as my best friend moved there years ago. It is the most beautiful state with a lot of athletic things to do. The skiing...amazing, hiking, biking, etc. And don't forget, Robert Redford holds the Sundance Film Festival there in Park City!!

Alison Kinsey said...

i wouldn't have guessed utah to be a fashion forward kind of place, OR to have the awesome cocktails, but YES, it is drop dead beautiful there. the scenery is insane!!! glad you liked it :)

Anonymous said...

It sure took my breath away the first time I saw it! :) Those mountains are just unreal, the way they almost shoot straight up out of the ground...hehe!
And you forgot--they have In-N-Out Burger too!!! One of my favorite places in the world (this coming from a girl who's worked for Chick-fil-A almost 9 years...shhh! Don't tell the cows!). :)