Sunday, February 21, 2010

Headband Storage

First off, thank you guys SO MUCH for all your sweet comments, prayers, and crossed fingers for Matt and I’s big news Friday and tomorrow.  Friday’s match took off lots of the anxiety, and now I’m just battling excitement to find out where we are going to be next year.  Eeek!  This might be the first week ever where I’m actually looking forward to Monday morning!

Even with the good news though, this weekend was pretty exhausting for me.  Full day at work on Friday, out late Friday celebrating the big match, and an all day work training on Saturday.  Boo for working Saturdays (especially after being out late the night before.  Big boo on that one.)  So today was spent in a coma-like state, which meant not getting out of my bed or my robe until sometime in the early afternoon.  (Ok, I lie, I actually did get out of bed a few times for important things like coffee, the TV remote, and Captain Crunch, but other than that, I remained lounging my bed.)  Oh how I love lazy days!

I did manage to muster up enough productivity to do a mini-0rganization project.  Now, before you read any further, I must share a disclaimer.  This blog is not about how to lead an organized life.  It is not about how to simplify or how to turn your home into a lovely little gem.  I am certainly not the poster child for organization, and there are several other blogs out there who have that department covered (and beautifully I might add.)  But if you are a fashion loving girl who is tight on money, space, and organizational skills, read on.  Because this, my friends and blog readers, is for you.

Most of you know this about me, but I love headbands.  And by love, I mean LOVE headbands.  Seriously, I have a bazillion, wear them at least two or three times a week, and am constantly searching for new ones to add to my collection.  (I blogged about my relationship with headbands in my first month of blogging.  See that post here.)  Since that post, however, my love has turned into a bit of an obsession and my collection has gotten too big for my once simple white basket storage system.  Last week, I realized I had to do something when I opened my bathroom cabinet and found this…

DSCN1712

Yikes.  Can you say embarrassing?  (Please understand the trust and comfort I have with you readers to reveal this dirty little secret.)  I realized a needed to inject a little order into this chaos, and I started to think about a simple organization idea for these my beloved headbands.  I’m sure The Container Store sells fancy headband holders, but let’s get real, I don’t have $30 to spend on a headband holder.  But then…I remembered my mom’s take on headband storage from when I was a little girl.  I went to a private school for part of elementary school and since we all wore the same plaid jumpers, headbands were a must to add some flair to our lives.  To keep my headband collection neat and organized my mom used an inexpensive and easy to find item.  So easy to find many of you probably have it in your pantry now…

quakeroats

Yep, I’m talking about a good, old fashioned, Quaker Oats container.  If you’re doubting, have faith, stay with me, I promise, I’m going somewhere with this.  So I took out all my headbands from the mess that was my bathroom cabinet and sorted through them, getting rid of a few that I didn’t wear anymore, and then layered them closely, almost one on top of the other.  The end result?

DSCN1805

TOTAL HEADBAND ORGANIZATIONAL BLISS.  In under five minutes and five dollars!  You can’t beat that.  Now, I’m sure there are some crafters out there who would take this project to the next level by covering the oatmeal canisters with pretty fabric or graphic paper and to you I say “you go girl!”  I myself thought about covering it in black velvet, but I was lazy and wanted five minute gratification, so I skipped that step.  In the end though, you can’t really see the oat resemblance through all the headbands, so I will leave mine uncovered.

DSCN1804

So, there you have it.  Easy and budget friendly headband storage for the busy, non crafty, or overworked headband lover.  What do you think?  How you do you store your headbands?  If you decide to try this project, let me know how it turns out.  I’d love to see how a Quaker Oats canister changes your fashion habits ;)

And ps: I was left with a TON of oatmeal after this project, so I searched and found some yummy oatmeal recipes to help deplete my oatmeal stash.  I’ll share those later this week for anyone who decides to take on this little mini project.  To keep you intrigued, I’ll tell you it involves chocolate, peanut butter, butter, and of course, oatmeal.  Mmm mmm…

13 comments:

Amber said...

omg amazing IDEA! I wished i liked oatmeal, I will have to find something similar!

Anjali said...

This is awesome!!! and very creative :) This is inspiring me to search my house for items that can help me stay organized...Lord knows that's not my biggest strength. Thanks for sharing :)

tam pham said...

thanks for sharing this storage tip! great idea! love the blog! good luck with the news tomorrow! so exciting!

xoxo,
tam

http://tampham.blogspot.com

Ashley Stone said...

Cute idea!! I love headbands too and I'm always losing them cause they don't have a place and end up getting shoved somewhere random. I'm sooo gonna try this!

Erin said...

such a cute idea! i had no idea you were so crafty allison! :)
Sadly i had the same problem and my remedy was just to hang a ribbon on the wall and place my headbands on there. i have absolutely no shelf space due to my massive shoe collection, or i would totally get some oat meal!

Rhianna said...

Great idea! I will do this!

Pink Champagne said...

What a brilliant idea! I share your love of headbands and your problem of where to put all of them, so I CANNOT wait to create my own tonight!

Kelsey said...

Girlfriend you gave A LOT of headbands!! like, a lot a lot! =)

Alison Kinsey said...

Wow!!!! Who would have thought the Quaker Oats container could be the storage solution for all your pretty headbands? Love it, and thanks for sharing! I only have 2 headbands, but maybe if my collection grows, I will keep that in mind!

Shana said...

I actually use paper towel rolls and cover them in fabric...more chic!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Belle said...

I wear headbands on occaision - I quite like them but don't always think to pop one on. So I don't have too many.

BUT NOW I FEEL COMPELLED TO BUY 5000 HEADBANDS JUST SO I CAN DO THIS!!

Thanks for this post, love it!

Anonymous said...

Squeal!! You just fixed a problem that has been driving me absolutely crazy lately! I don't have an oat container in the house, but we are always loving on the Costco sized canister of iced tea. Perfect! I'll probably cover it, only because I'm a scrapbooker, and that's what we do!
Thanks SO much for posting this! I'm dead jealous of those headbands!

Alice.

P.S. I found you through Kendi.