Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Getting Out of a Hair Rut

For the past 2 months, I've been in a bit of a hair rut.  I desperately wanted something different, yet I couldn't quite figure out what I wanted.  (And I've learned my lesson about when I'm not quite sure about a hair change, I need to wait.  Impulsive hair decisions have not faired well for me.)  I was certain I wanted to keep the length, but I was wanting something different in terms of my color and style.  I was taking my time, slowly looking and inspiration photos, hemming and hawing about what I really wanted.  Then after my NYC trip, I saw a picture of my hair and just about fell over.  My hair looked terrible.  Straw straight, dull color, three inch roots, no body, no shine...good grief, it looked disasterious.

So after seeing that picture, my hair inspriration search took on a new life.  I became a Pinterest addict, I took iPhone snaps of strangers sitting near me who had fabulous hair, and I became "that girl" who constantly talks about her hair, what she wants, blah blah blah.  Last week, I made some good progess in finally nailing down some options.  Colorwise, I wanted more warmth, less blonde, and potential for an ombre effect as my roots grow back in.  Stylewise, loose curls, a middle part (still trying to get used to that), and anything but the straw-like 'do I saw in that NYC photo.

Hair

When I showed Matt my inspiration photos, he gave me one of this doubtful, "Are you sure?"  He reminded me how I felt about my hair the last time I went dark...

C19{Christmas in London, 2007}

Crazy, right?!  I went super dark in the fall of 2007 after being forced to give up my beloved tanning beds.  (The warnings are no joke; they really do give you skin cancer.)  So with my new pasty skin, I didn't feel right as blonde, and I tried dark.  I really liked it for a while, but then, I got tired of it, itching for my oh so loved blonde.  But being the fickle person that I am, I now want to find a medium between the two, something that would allow growth to show, resulting in less frequent trips to the salon.

So Saturday, I finally felt prepared enough to give my hair lady a good idea.  I went armed with my Pinterest photos, my three buzz words (warm, caramel, ombre), and the trust that she wouldn't lead me astray.  And this my friends was the final result...

IMG 0124

Overall, I'm super happy with it.  It's not as drastic as it could have been, and for that I am thankful.  What I also love is that as my roots grow out, it will naturally darken up and take on the ombre effect that I loved in pictures.  I love the middle part with the loose curls, but unfortunately, my stylist wouldn't let me kidnap her and bring her home to do my hair every morning, so I'm still working on how I can replicate that.  But all in all, I'm so happy to be out of my hair rut and into a color that is the perfect warm happy medium for me :)

Does anyone else find themselves in the occasional hair rut?  If so, how do you typically get out?

13 comments:

Natalie said...

The color is perfect on you! Definitely the perfect medium. Love!

Ashley Stone said...

it looks great! I think you achieved the desired look! : )

French Lover said...

You look amazing! Love your shirt, too.
I finally highlighted my hair this Summer after years of being too much of a chicken to do it ;) Now I'm kind of excited for my roots to show and the ombré effect to kick it ;)

Bisous!

Alex Byer said...

You look great! I love the color; it'll definitely be super warm through the fall months! As for curls, try this out:
http://thebeautydepartment.com/2011/04/the-every-day-wave/

I use it to curl my stick-straight hair and it works like a charm! My curls stay in all day and don't look like ringlets.

Anonymous said...

I love the new look! It is very warm, so cute :)

Anonymous said...

Your hair looks so pretty! I love it!

Random question: What kind of iPhone case is that? I've been searching for a pretty pink one ...

Jessica said...

Super cute! Looks great on you!! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm in a total hair rut but I'm getting my hair done in a couple weeks!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty color/style! My hairstylist mentioned that she was learning how to do the ombre and that we could try it out next time... although I'm not sure I want to be her 'test run' Lol. After amassing a huge collection of hair appliances and styling products, I think I finally found the HG for the loose wavy curls. Its one of those clipless curling irons but this one is by Remington and has a larger barrel (1.25 inch) than the others out there. Found it at Target. I think we have similar hair type/length so it may work for you - was really easy/quick and curls stayed in all day.

One Woman's Thoughts said...

You are strikingly beautiful no matter what color your hair is. I'm really lovin your new look though.

PursuitOfLLT said...

so cute, Allison! I'm in a bit of a hair rut too. I just stood in front of the mirror 2 days ago and frowned. I went a little darker (I'm naturally a dirty blonde) and my stylist colored my roots a little darker than my natural color and I think I like it. I've still got some honey/dirty blonde in there. I think I need to do more in the styling world. The boring straight hair just ISN'T doing it for me!

MrsFlewlling said...

First, I LOVE the hair color!! Your hair is always gorgeous, this included. My hair ruts are awful because my hair is short and I want my hair to grow out and become longer again, so just getting the split ends trimmed is a hassle. My mom has me in that "Don't ever not be blonde" phase...but I wish I could get longer faster and have your fabulous hair. :)

Jessica said...

I love this color! I have been drooling over ombre ideas myself. I too am a blonde who went really dark when I stopped tanning. Dark is not for me and the really pretty blonde i love is pricey.

I would love if you did a makeup tutorial! Your makeup always looks great. Maybe an everyday look and something a bit more done for a night out? I need some inspiration:)