Monday, March 22, 2010

The Secret to Blazers

erez2 {j.crew}

I have long loved blazers.  I think they are fabulously basic, professional for work yet totally chic, and the perfect way to pair the masculine and feminine together.  Yet, much like headbands and black nail polish, blazers were a thing I loved and craved, yet absolutely could not get to work for me.  I had great blazers and continued to buy ones that I loved, but I could never quite pair it with the right stuff.  It always looked…I don’t know…not right.  However, in the past few weeks, I have finally found the secret to making blazers work for me….(drumroll please)…

Long, loose fitting, and/or flowy tanks and tees.

Some of you may be laughing at me as you read this.  Perhaps you already knew this holy-grail-secret-to-blazers.  If so, congrats to you (and shame on your for not sharing with me!)  I’ve been missing out on the fabulousness of blazers for years because of this well kept secret!  So here’s where I was getting caught up.  In the past, when I wanted to sport a blazer, I’d reach for the simplest under-thing in my closet, a black or white cami.  This was my mistake.  The cami was my mistake.  When I’d pair the cami and the blazer together, I’d always get a sort of “unflattering” vibe.  If you are a stick straight, flat tummied, Cameron Diaz type girl, you won’t get this same vibe, and you should rock the hell out of the cami-blazer look.  But if you’re a girl, who has some shape, curves and an intense fear of the muffin top, this combination won’t be the best for you.  I fall into that second category, and always thought the cami-blazer a little too tight and muffin top promoting.  (I have this intense fear of being that girl who has fat squishage over her jeans and fails to care or notice.  If I have it, ehh, I’ll deal, but I absolutely do not want to highlight and share that part of myself with others.  No thank you.  And yes, squishage is a real word.  Invented by me.) 

So one morning, after a fluke pairing of a camel and cream herringbone blazer with a long, flowy cream tank with great neckline detail (I guess all my camis were dirty), I looked in the mirror and realized the major difference.  This look could work for me!  I added a few layered gold necklaces, two cocktail rings, a pair of heels, and voila, I was the professional yet chic blazer wearing girly girl I’d always wanted to be.  And it was as simple as a longer, looser top.  Who freaking knew?!  Since that day, I’ve been wearing blazers everywhere I go.  The airport, the office, the museum, the dinner date spot, the wine bar…I am now OBSESSED with wearing blazers!  So if you’re a wannabe blazer lover, but can’t get it quite right, try a longer, looser top for underneath and see what you think!  (And check out a few of the pics of below.) 

FP_4330391_Kardashian_Kim_FRE_010810 Kim Kardashian has the blazer thing down.  For realz.  I heart her and her fashion sense.

f8359b62898e60a9_LAUREN-CONRAD.preview Lauren and Lo, different takes on the blazer and both look fabulous.

DSCN1922 My friend Christie and I in Chicago (more on that recent trip to come) both clearly loving the blazer/jacket look.  My tank was actually a light pink ruffle tank from J.Crew, but it photographed white for some reason.  Bummer.

4426057e2671d7cb_Kim-Kardashian And after I wore the look above, I found this pic of Kim Kardashian.  Looks like we both dig the black blazer, grey scarf, and tall black boot trend.  Too bad I’m not carrying that fabulous bag of hers!

What about the rest of yall…are you a blazer lover like me?  Are there other secrets to blazer wearing I still don’t know?

9 comments:

Alison Kinsey said...

I loved this post! That's great you could make the blazer trend work for you. I haven't worn this type of look yet, but I have wanted to for so long. They seem like a very versatile piece to have in your wardrobe.

Stephanie said...

Where's a good place to get a long, black fitter blazer??!?!

Pink Champagne said...

I have shared your struggle with making the blazer work in the past, but I finally purchased a black velvet blazer this past Christmas as a holiday wardrobe staple. I love how festive they look in the office, over a dress for a coctail party, or just with jeans and a dressy top. Love your pairing of the blazer with a scarf and boots - you rock that look! :)

Stephanie said...

fitted*

Nikosmommy said...

You are SO right about the longer flowy top underneath a blazer/jacket. I wear them all the time but because a blazer is fitted, I guess the looser top balances it out. Blazers+skinny jeans+boots or heels = amazingness

Mama B said...

Hey there....I just found your blog through another one I love. It's SO cute! I'm now your newest follower. :) Oooh, and I'm loving the blazers, as well. I don't know if I can pull one off myself, but, I love the look on everyone else!

Anjali said...

Oooooooh great post!!!! I too struggle with wearing blazers, I always feel either boxy, or like some of my squishage is showing (PS Love that word!!!). I'm going to try applying your tip next time I attempt to wear a blazer.
Thanks lady!!

ashlina {the decorista} said...

oh yes. i too am obsessed with blazers...its totally my everyday staple..that kim k and lauren conrad rock them so well!

Anonymous said...

i live in my black trina turk blazer(thank you trina sample sale and snagging for 25!) and my navy gap one. i need a khaki one i believe. target has some. i think it would be good for spring/summer