Sunday, June 10, 2012

New Beauty Favorites

I'm not usually one to try a million different beauty products.  I'm a MAC girl through and through, and whenever I venture out to try one of the latest "it" products, I always find myself slightly disappointed, coming back to my favorites, and wondering why I every strayed in the first place.  However, in the past month I've stumbled upon two products that I've really, really loved!  And shockingly, neither of them are MAC products!

P6100903

 

Maybelline Studio New York Master Precise Ink Pen Eyeliner: I have been wanting to get on the cat eye trend for ages, but everytime I attempted them, I looked like a five year old who got caught playing in her mom's make up.  Seriously, not pretty.  But when I read this post and heard this liner was perfect for cat eyes newbies, I knew I had to try it.  And guess what?  It is perfect for cat eye newbies!  The tip is more like a pen, as opposed to a brush, so there is less room for veering off of the eyeline.  (Read: there is less of a chance of looking like that overambitious five year old.)  I have also figured out another really important tip for mastering the cat eye.  Don't try to create the cat eye in one straight swoop.  Instead, use shorter, overlapping strokes of eyeliner to create the look, especially on the inner half of your eye.  It seems counterintuitive that multiple short strokes would create a smoother line, but that tip definitely helped me!  I have especially been loving the cat eye trend when paired with bright, summer lips!  (My new favorite, MAC Impassioned, seen here.)

Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer: I've tried a primer before and wasn't particularly crazy with the results.  Instead of helping my foundation last, I found that it just made me shinier sooner.  But when I got this Smashbox primer as a part of a free gift with purchase, I thought I might as well give it a go.  And oh my goodness, I love it!  It gives me a nice extra glow, and overall really helps my makeup last throughout a long day at work.  I'll never forgot the first day I wore it.  I applied it early in the morning and came home ten hours later, after a long day at the work.  As I stood at the sick washing my hands, I caught a glimpse of myself, and did a double take.  My makeup looked just as it had ten hours earlier!  Rather than applying the primer prior to my foundation, I actually mix the two together, adding a pea sized amount of primer in with a dime sized amount of foundation.  I apply the combo using a MAC 187 brush.  After having such great luck with this primer, I thought about trying out the MAC equivalent, but then I realized, why mess with a good thing?

IMG 0656

PS: In other news, I cleaned out my bathroom cabinets this weekend, which included a serious makeup purge.  I am ashamed to say that I filled an entire Quaker Oats container with old MAC products.  I had a ridiculous amount of old and stashed away products that seriously needed to go.  I felt pretty guilt looking at all those products and thinking about how much money was spent them, but then I realized that with the MAC recycling program, the old products won't go completely to waste.  Every six will be a new MAC eyeshadow or lipstick, which means I'm set for the next nine seasons :)  PS: Wondering why I have a Quaker Oats container in my bathroom?  Click here to find out!

Anyone else have any new favorite beauty products to share?

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I'm a years-long fan of primer (and specifically the Smashbox Photo-Finish) and absolutely notice a difference in how long my make-up lasts. Like you, I became a convert when I looked into the mirror at the end of the day to find my makeup still looked great.

I'm also a fan of the pen eyeliners to better achieve a cat eye line. I'll have to try out the less-expensive Maybelline version you tried as I've been using either the Smashbox or Stila versions.